Windows 10 Gaming (wip)

Home Forums Operating Systems Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 Gaming (wip)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Voodoo
    Keymaster

Gaming has pretty much been dominated by the Windows operating system. Unfortunately, the company keeps making changes between the operating systems which woukd leave hardware behind or software. If you search the internet, you can see suggestion for one alternative after another. Many of the emulators work well for DOS, but most of the suggestions are about replacing XP or 7. The hardware and games created for DirectX 5 to 7 (Windows 95/98/ME era) tend to be left out. Reactos did look promising being able to run on old NT 3.5/4.0 hardware which is from the same timeframe as the 9X era where many of the other Windows alternatives require like 512MB of ram and 1Ghz processor. This was very lacking in the early Pentium, Pentium 2, Pentium 3 realm. Since Windows has started with their compatibility additions, it has become easier to find hacks to get these working on newer Windows. A good example has been the Jane’s simulations where one guy seems to have made some progress. “Tklberry” (spelling is depending on the forum) seems to still be working on it as new posts have been seen in the past year on Simhq.com where he offered a link for his new patch. Unfortunately, those links don’t seem to be active anymore. There is also an HQ patch out there for Janes USAF that is still eluding me too. This might be good for the games, but this is not good for the hardware as I requires more horsepower to run than the light linux operating systems do. So you are left with the only option of securing your 9X system yourself. If you do upgrade your hardware, you may find yourself feeling like you are forced into Windows 10. Yes, Windows 10 can be obtained for “free”, but that comes at a heavy price. That price is you having to give up freedoms. Windows 10 was designed to constantly spy on you and report back to Microsoft. Microsoft claims

• This topic was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Voodoo.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.