The "Newest" GPU's for a 9X Retro Computer

Home Forums Operating Systems Windows Windows 98/98SE/ME The "Newest" GPU's for a 9X Retro Computer

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Voodoo
    Keymaster

There are a few misconceptions that I have seen and that is about PCIe. Many people will claim that PCIe is technology released after 98SE, so 98SE will not work with a PCIe card. Unfortunately, I am going to disagree. There are a few chipsets out there that controlled the PCIe that released drivers just for this. However, you need to ensure that what you put in those PCIe slot did the same thing as the chipset companies. They are going to need drivers for the 9X system you are wanting to run. On some occasions such as with gpu’s, the community modified drivers to work. Great examples of those will be with AMD’s X800 and X850 series along with the Geforce 7000 and 8000 series.

Unfortunately, the latest “known” cards for these systems seem to always come at a premium price. The Voodoo 5500’s start out at like $200 with the PCI version easily doubling that. The Geforce 6800 series and the Radeon 9800 series are can easily go for $150. The X800 and X850 will go even higher and the Geforce 7000’s also go for around the same price. Of course, we are talking AGP version and not the PCIe versions.

The X800 and X850 video cards:
    All over the internet forums, you see that in many cases the X8xx series is the last gpu on the Radeon side to receive drivers. You can easily see how some get it to work and others have no problems. It really does seem to be if the X8xx has more than 256MB VRam and if it is an XT version. Just like the Voodoo 4 and the Voodoo 5, you can easily see the Geforce 7800/7900 series and the Radeon X850 over $300.

The Geforce side of things tend to be a little more tricky. There are reports of many 7000 series gpu’s working as they released AGP version. The 8000 series never released on the AGP slot for the PC (they have some for the MacPro), so they seem to be harder to find. So naturally, I am now curious at trying this out myself. In doing so, I have ordered a few of Asrock’s dual boards where they have a PCIe and an AGP slot.

For the AMD side of this project, I have chosen an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 which allows me to use some of my older cpu’s laying around. However, it has been reported that because this motherboard has dual chipsets to split the AGP and PCIe duties, you can actually use both the AGP and the PCIe together. I find that quite interesting especially for dual booting.

For the Intel side, I went with the ASRock 775 Dual-880Pro. This is only for dual core Pentiums, but it too has two different chipsets to utilize the AGP and PCIe slots at the same time.

WARNING: Even thought dual chipsets are used for the different AGP/PCIe control, most have the ability to use DDR2 and DDR ram. Please, do NOT get confused and attempt to run both at the same time. Pick either DDR2 or DDR. Trying to combine them can cause many things such as instability, shortouts, and even electrical fires. :O

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Voodoo.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.